Monday, November 17, 2008

"Quarry us deep"

We used this Puritan prayer yesterday morning as our confession of sin at Redeemer. It was so good...so all-encompassing...so rich: it just cut straight to the heart. I think I read it about 5 times yesterday. Now it could just be that I had a rough week of seeing way to much of my sinfulness and not enough of my Savior. I get into this downward spiral when I start to look inward: into my heart. Ya know, the Gospel is not in our hearts! It's just not there guys! It's so not of the flesh...not of the world. And so I get very down and very discouraged when I start to look at myself and not at my Savior. I was tellin' one of my buddies this past week: it's like I'm lookin' at my feet, makin' sure they're movin', instead of lookin' at my King and makin' sure that I'm headed in the right direction. Ya know, we're on a hill (a slippery slope) so of course our feet are gonna be movin'...it's a hill! So, instead of makin' sure that my feet are movin' I need to look at my King...at my Savior...and make sure that they're movin' in the right direction...that I'm steppin' heavenward! So, perhaps this confession of sin was only "that good" to me because I had more of a downer week. But then, I'm thinkin' we're all sinners. So, Lord, just set our eyes on You, our King and our Savior, and "quarry us deep."

Lord Jesus, give me a deeper repentance, a horror of sin, a dread of its approach. Help me chastely to flee it and jealously to resolve that my heart shall be Yours alone. Give me a deeper trust, that I may lose myself to find myself in You, the ground of my rest, the spring of my being. Give me a deeper knowledge of Yourself as Saviour, Master, Lord, and King. Give me deeper power in private prayer, more sweetness in Your Word, more steadfast grip on its truth. Give me deeper holiness in speech, thought, action, and let me not seek moral virtue apart from You. I have no master but You, no law but Your will, no delight but Yourself, no wealth but what You have given, no good but Your blessing, no peace but what You have bestowed. I am nothing but what You make me. I have nothing but what I receive from You. I can be nothing apart from grace. Quarry me deep, dear Lord, and then fill me to overflowing with living water.

May the Lord bless your week as we seek His face and strive to live before Him with much rejoicing for the great things He has done! "Oh how great is the Lord and greatly to be praised." May He fill our week, our days, our moments, our lives, our souls, to overflowing with living water!

"All praise to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly more than we can ever ask or think"...and He's not done yet...until we see Him face to face in glory and we are "perfect and complete; lacking in nothing."

Miss Blair for the Novelteatalkers

2 comments:

Lily said...

I know what the confession of sin at Grace church is gonna be this week!

Sarah said...

Isn't that rippin'? Oh, I read it so many times...and again today...and I'm printing it out to read tomorrow morning. It just makes me tear up every time I read. "Quarry us deep, dear Lord, and fill us to overflowing with living water." Do it Lord! Oh, I'm so glad Grace Church is gonna feast on that one that this Sunday :)

Love you,

Sarah