Monday, October 25, 2010

Spurgeon, Pour Our Tea

I just read this on another blog and was encouraged so much by it. So, allow Spurgeon to pour you a cup of tea this evening. He's from Britain, after all, it's bound to be a good cup, right? The Gospel is even better!

"Give us help from trouble." Psalm 60:11

When we come before God in the hour of trouble, remembering His great goodness to us in the past and therefore thanking Him, we should have faith enough to believe that the present trouble about which we are praying is sent in love. You will win with God in prayer if you can look at your trials in this light: "Lord I have this thorn in the flesh. I beg You, deliver me from it, but for now I bless You for it; for although I do not understand, I am persuaded there is love within it. Therefore, while I ask You to remove it, as it seems evil to me, yet it may to Your better knowledge be for my good. I bless you for it, and I am content to endure it as long as You see fit." Is not that a sweet way of praying? "Lord, I am in want: Be pleased to supply me; but meanwhile if you do not, I believe it is better for me to be in need, and so I praise You for my necessity while I ask You to supply it. I glory in my infirmity even while I ask You to overcome it. I triumph before You in my affliction and bless You for it even while I ask You to help me in it and rescue me out of it."

No comments: