Friday, August 19, 2011

Fitness Friday!


Welcome Friday!

I am currently sipping a morning cup of tea in a bright and sunny kitchen getting geared up for another day. This week is almost over and so is my summer holiday. On Monday, things (school) will be again as normal. It's been a fabulous holiday: Trip to England, Cassie's wedding(!), visit with the Blairs, and our 6th annual Edisto family reunion were just a few of the highlights. Meanwhile, I've worked through a couple of books: Passion and Purity, by Elizabeth Elliot; The Problem of Pain, by C.S. Lewis; The Chestnut King, N.D. Wilson; Why We're Not Emergent: By Two Guys Who Should Be, by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck; One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp.

AND...the moment you've been waiting for (or "for which you have been waiting" to be grammatically correct)!!!

...I started a new habit of exercising! SarahB can tell you that for years I have been untouchable on the subject: disinterested and unmotivated. In a little over two months I've gone from no exercise to jogging/running a couple times a week.


I began by walking our dog (Tebow) and adding a few jogging intervals to keep him paced with me. (He's a Jack Russel /Greyhound mix.) It worked tremendously well. And, it was good for both of us! After that, a friend of mine, Brianna, suggested that we run together. Now I had a partner! (Which helps a lot in the area of motivation.) After two weeks of running together, we ran a 5K. It was hard! However, it felt really great to work so hard and feel so good afterward. Since then, we've been training to run a 5K on Labor Day.

This morning, we ran a flat course and timed ourselves. In the next two weeks we will be running the entire 5K distance to practice leading up to the event.

That concludes this Fitness Friday update! Have a marvelous weekend!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Really, the moment *for which* I've been waiting is for Lily to post about anything at all :) I really did enjoy your post, Lily. I just finished my run for the morning...off to take a shower :)

Happy Friday, everyone!