Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Book Club~Very Unique Jewel of Christian Contentment

Finally, another post! It's been a busy few weeks at the Blair's home, and I'm sure at the Freeman's home, as well.

Part of that busyness does not include the book club. I am making an executive Talk Time decision (that Lily and I sort-of talked about on Saturday): the book club is on hold until March 10 at 1:00. That's when the Greenville Conference begins and Calvin's Institutes should be finished! Right now, I'm jammin' on Calvin and so *pause* on the Very Unique Jewel of Christian Contentment.

Yeah, Lily and I changed the name (we're allowed, it's just a puritan, ya know?) Have you ever heard people say something was "very unique"? Ya know, "We live in a very unique neighborhood." Or, "I have a very unique personality." Ya know what, guys? It can't be. Unique means one-of-a-kind, right? Right. So how can you be very one-of-a-kind? How can you be more one-of-a-kind than one-of-a-kind? It just can't be! So the other day Lily and I were talking about contentment (and probably our lack of) and we think that Burroughs really should have emphasized the "rare" part of the title. Or, actually, it should be "The Very Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment." Or how about the "Very Unique Jewel of Christan Contentment." It just can't happen...it's so rare, it's very unique. So, that concludes our book club posts until March 10 at 1:00 (and don't count on one then, either because I'll be listening to Dr. McGoldrick on Calvin!!) In any event, go strive after that very unique jewel....it's worth all the striving!

So, a Calvin/conference update: 1 month, 2 weeks, 3 days until the conference and 227 pages of Calvin left to read. Who thinks I'm gonna make it and who thinks the ratio of 48 days to 227 pages is *hopeless*? (and that is the ratio because 227 is a prime number so it can't be reduced.)

Yeah, math is all part of the busyness around here, lately.

The big news of my week is that yesterday I did get registered for the conference...so it's official!!

To close this rambling post, a quote that I read the other day:

John Cotton (a puritan minister in the 1600's) was asked why he stayed up so late reading at night? His answer was:

"Because I love to sweeten my mouth with a bit of Calvin before I go to bed."

I greatly encourage you to try a bit of Calvin. Sweeten your mouth with Calvin on prayer (Institutes, book 3, chapter 20). It will greatly encourage your soul. And Lily, you better not comment and say that you love to read Calvin before you go to bed because it puts you to sleep...it does not and that would completely ruin my point! ;)

But, I do hope you guys are having a great week so far....striving after that very unique jewel of Christian contentment!!

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly more than all we can ever ask or think, be all the praise, in the church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever~

Sarah for the Novelteatalkers

No comments: