Friday, July 10, 2009

More Sewing Projects

I flatter myself that you would remember this skirt:



It was the main feature of our blog posts during our annual summer vacation together last year. Remember the slide show? If only I could link to it. It was on the older, uglier, way not as cool (not to mention, deleted) version of Talk Time. It was the main feature because, out of all four of us (Lily and her sister; me and my sister) it was the only sewing project that actually got finished that week!

It is most affectionately known as the, Interesting, Spazy, Different, Loud, Fun, Exotic (etc. You provide your own adjectives) Skirt.

Well, my dear little buddy, Lexi (I road to the conference with her...and her family :) loves my skirt. She's my spazin' buddy. She and I have so much fun together. I love her so much. She's 7 and I'm 17. I can't wait until one day, Lord willing, I have children and she treasures them when she's 17 the way I treasure her (and her sister and brothers) now.

Lexi Loo is turnin' eight at the end of July and so I made her this skirt:




See the double drawstring...denim and ribbon...that cooridnates with this ribbon at the bottom:



It's almost exactly like mine except that the ribbon for the drawstring on mine is a little lighter brown and the denim on mine isn't such a dark blue. But other than that...just like mine.

I also made a hair scrunchie out of the dot material from the skirt. Mine is actually the dots and the stripes but I'm thinkin' about remaking mine.



And I also made her a matching headcovering for church. I designed this all by myself just in the spur of the moment. Who needs a pattern? It needs a little help on the sides. Brite, do you have any great ideas? But, if you tuck them under the tie it looks so adorable. I think I definitely need to make myself one. How cute!




There you go: some more sewing projects with only a couple minor catastrophes.

5 comments:

Lily said...

Sarah, you look so pretty in that last picture!!!!

brite said...

You are so industrious! And I love the little miniature skirt (NOT mini-skirt) :) and I'm sure she will love it, too. I have never done any kind of bandana/headcovering project, but I bet if you search online you would find lots of great patterns for free.

Sarah said...

Thanks Brite. I usually just make a square and fold it into a triangle and tie the corners. But I wanted to use the stripe fabric as an actual tie instead of making the denim go all the way around. I'll have to see if I can find a free pattern....I'm not spending money on a one-time pattern. I'm way too cheap for that :)

Jessica said...

Sarah, lovely work on both skirts! I'm certain Lexi will love her skirt. What a great idea for the matching headcovering and hairbow!

Sarah said...

I found a free pattern online (great idea Brite!) so I'm going to remake the head covering. I will post new pictures when I'm done. And I have some other cute fabric left over from my apron so I'll actually make more than one and I'll also post pictures of the apron when I finish it.