Friday, April 2, 2010

How To Write This Post

Ok, is the weather not absolutely gorgeous? I love having the windows open and the fan ON in our room. I love hearing the lawn mower outside (Noah's doing a great job making our weeds look like grass). I love the breeze. I loved taking Noah and Ethan to Noah's piano lesson and having the windows open in the car. I love not wearing winter sweaters. I love wearing shoes that make that sticky "barefoot and leather" sound when I walk because I'm not wearing socks. I love the daffodils blooming. They look like a little spot of sunshine just fell into our flowerbed when I walk out the back door. I love the fresh smells. I love the weeping cherry trees...most especially the weeping cherry trees.

But that's not what this post is about, and that wasn't hard to write.

This is what I don't know how to write. And the problem is not the telling, but how to tell without using an exclamation point at the end of every sentence. This post is a bit overdue but I'll just jump in, I guess, and hope that the exclamation point key doesn't get tired before I'm done.

The Evolution of the Franklin Square Trip
subtitle: the best senior trip ever! Seriously, try to beat this.

Three years ago (in May) I started reading Calvin's Institutes in preparation for the Greenville Conference 2009. Is anyone tired of hearing this yet? Ok, well whatever. I'm sorry, it's all part of the story. ANYway! When I got to Book Three, Chapter Twenty on Prayer I really wanted some sermons to go with that chapter. I searched Sermon Audio and Pastor Miller's name was the only one that I knew.

We knew the Millers from Greenville days. Daddy knew Pastor Miller more than we did because he went to seminary with him, but even still, we didn't know them well. But we did have them over twice and could have told you who they were across the room. So, I listened to Pastor Millers series of Sunday School lessons (that are a lot like sermons) on The Larger Catechism on Prayer...several times. They really are that awesome. And I've shared them with at least 5 other people that I can think of right this second. I think actually more. I really can't tell you how good they are. You just have to go listen for yourself.

And since they were so good I just started listening to everything he's preached on Sermon Audio. It's all good. Just pick one. It'll be good. No doubt.

Now I have to take this story back 2 years to a different spot. Two years ago (the same summer I was reading the Institutes) Daddy was nominated by the presbytery to go to General Assembly (if you really want to know all the ins-and-outs of what that means, I'll comment you the answer :). While Daddy was at General Assembly (GA) he spent a little time with Pastor Miller, catching up, etc. This past year Daddy was nominated to go to GA again so he called Pastor Miller to see if he was going and if they could get a room together. Pastor Miller called Daddy a couple weeks later and said that they were expecting their fourth baby around the time of GA so he was going to stay home this year.

When Daddy told me that my brain started workin': Ok, so I graduate in June. Fourth child. Young children. Homeschooling. Franklin Square OPC. The Millers! How can I work this? So I asked Daddy, "Did you happen to mention that your daughter would love to come help them out when their baby is born?" When I said it, I really wanted to do that but I was more saying it in a teasing way. But Mama took me up on it and we talked to Daddy and they both thought it was a good idea.

So Daddy called Pastor Miller back and told him that if they thought it would be helpful, the Number One Pastor Miller Fan would be happy to come spend anywhere from 1-4 weeks with them either when the baby's born or when they start school. Whatever.

A few weeks later they e-mailed Daddy and said that they would like for me to come in September and help them start their school year for a month.

I can't even tell you how excited I am! I think it's actually going to be pretty difficult once I get there because I'm really gonna miss Charlotte...a lot! But I am SO excited and it's been so wonderful to see how the Lord arranged all these things. I mean, it's the Millers, no less. And I'll be done with high school. And I've always wanted to do things like this after I graduate. Isn't it sweet to see how the Lord orchestrates our lives?

Anyway, there's the Franklin Square story. I don't think I used too many exclamation points and I finally got this post written. I've been putting it off for about 2 1/2 months.

I hope all of you are having a beautiful spring Monday! May the Lord bless you this week!

1 comment:

brite said...

Well expressed sentiments regarding Spring- I share them!

Looks like you have a very exciting fall ahead of you. I guess I need to try to avoid having a baby anywhere too close to the Greenville conference or you won't be able to come help us. :) I see a new ministry springing up!