Wednesday, April 13, 2011

For My Dear Friend

If you have a moment or two before this crazy busy day begins, might you pull up a chair and share a cup of tea on Lily's birthday?

This is Lily's twentieth birthday. I can't believe I just typed that. Lily and I met when I was 7 and she was 8. We have shared our birthdays in so many different ways ever since. This year, she and I are both running out the door at 8:00 am and won't be back home until late tonight, so I'll call her while I'm driving to the math lesson I have to teach and she's driving to school. No time for tea and a long heart-to-heart about the past 12 years together and what it feels like to be turning twenty, but that's alright. When you share your whole life with someone there's plenty of other tea cup moments to be had along the way.

Lily, I'm so thankful for your friendship and all of the memories we share together. Even though I can't be with you on your birthday, I'm thinking of you and all the times we've spent together; the phone calls every week (can you believe we've probably had 600+ phone calls together!); the e-mails (though they've been scarce lately); the letters tucked in the mail as a surprise drop of sunshine in the mailbox; the book club that we've persevered through even though our video chatting has been somewhat difficult..... There is just too much to say right here. It's been so many years of storing up memories and times together and they're all so special because we get to share them together.

So Lily, I do hope you have a wonderful, very special day. May the Lord bless you and always be drawing you ever-nearer to Himself as you walk along this path heavenward. I'm so glad I get to share the journey with you. I love you very much!

Happy Birthday!

"Blessed be the Lord God, Who daily loadeth us with benefits,
Even the God of our salvation."

~ Psalm 68:19

No comments: