Monday, May 9, 2011

From Pilgrim's Progress

"I looked behind me and saw one coming as swift as the wind–so he overtook me just about the place where the settle stands. Just as the man overtook me he was but a word and a blow, for down he knocked me and layed me for dead. But when I was a little come to myself again then I asked him, wherefore he served me so? He answered because of my secret inclining to Adam the First, and with that he struck me another deadly blow in the breast and beat me down backwards, so I lay at his foot as dead as before. So when I came to myself again I cried for mercy but he said, "I know not how to show mercy." And with that he knocked me down again. He had doubtless made an end of me but I cam by and bid him forebear.
"Christian, who was that that bid him forebear?"
"Faithful, I did not know Him at first but as He went by I perceived the holes in His hands and in His side. Then I concluded that He was our Lord. So I went up the hill."
"Christian, that man that overtook you was Moses. He spareth none, neither knoweth he how to sow mercy to those that transgress his law."

No comments: