Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Raising Up Godly Generations

I read this post over at the Girltalk blog, today, and thought it was so sweet, I wanted to post it here. As one who has been blessed by the way one godly, single young woman, in particular, used her singleness in my life as a little girl, and now being that single girl to many other little ones, and hoping one day, Lord willing, to have my own quiver full and letting my godly young single friends be part of my home and my children's life, this story was so sweet and encouraging. May the Lord find us raising up godly generations of those that love Him and keep His commandments, whether we be young, single or married and mothers of many.
I was single until I was 35 (now have 4 year old twin daughters--our double blessing).

As a child we had a friend called Donna who came for tea every week, babysat, and had much godly input for me and my brothers. I am 44 now and still think of her as part of our family and although I rarely see her anymore, I always remember her with enormous affection and some of her advice helps me still.

As a single I had the privilege of being very close to several families with children. I was a young lady whose main aim was (and always will be) to be a Proverbs 31 wife and mother. I found it incredibly hard being single, but found great fulfillment in spending time with the children of my friends. I worked with children, and also went to one friend every week to help her with her children when her husband was working late. I also babysat and spent time with other friends and their children. I adored all of them, and felt enormously privileged when they called me their friend, and when I heard them repeating phrases I often used!

As a Mum with young children now, I have a special friend called Helen who comes for tea once a week and helps put my daughters to bed, prays with us all, reads them stories, comes on outings with my husband, children and me, and babysits. When my daughters talk about extended family, they always include her. She has great input into their lives and I feel privileged to have her as part of our lives.

Just as I called Donna "my Donna" and my friend's children called me "my Caroline," my children are now calling Helen "my Helen." I am truly blessed!

No comments: