Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ten Pages A Day, Part Two

Alrighty, it's time for Part Two. I have to finish this (very) small series quickly before I finish anymore books and out-date my last post.

This time under the topic of Reading Goals for 2011: Books I'm Reading Now and Hope to Finish This Year. Quotes from each coming as I finish them.

The Marvelous Riches of Savoring Christ. The Letters of Miss Ruth Bryan. This is honey out of the rock. I've been reading it for about the past two years because I don't want it to end, but I'm almost finished and selecting some quotes to post will be downright hard. This is one of those books that you never actually finish. I can see it sitting on my bedside table or desk for the rest of my life, and even though I've read and re-read it, I just keep picking it up every morning to read a letter from a dear sister. "Just tell me how it really is. What's really going on before I get into this day." I can't wait to meet Miss Bryan in heaven one day.

Mortification of Sin by Owen. It's quotes like this that are thrownin' me:
"Sin sets its strength against every act of holiness, and against every degree we grow to. Let not that man think he makes any progress in holiness who walks not over the bellies of his lusts. He who doth not kill sin in this way takes no steps towards his journey’s end. He who finds not opposition from it, and who sets not himself in every particular to its mortification, is at peace with it, not dying to it."
That's why I'm reading...

...Looking unto Jesus by Isaac Amrbose....at the same time.

God's Passion for His Glory and The End For Which God Created the World by John Piper and Jonathan Edwards. This is my book club book with Lily which we have been reading together via Skype while sipping tea. Almost like the coffee-shop moments we wish we could have.

A New Biography: Jonathan Edwards by Iain Murray. I started this one a while ago and hope to finish it this year. I've been told I need to read this biography before I read anything, like, for real, by Edwards. So I'm hoping to finish it soon so I can get on to reading some things by Edwards, himself.

God's Way of Holiness by Horatius Bonar. This is the one I started reading while in New York and need to finish.

Given For You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper by Keith A. Mathison.
Started this one, too, awhile ago but got side-tracked with Owen. Who wouldn't?

The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (when I finish the letters of Ruth Bryan).

There's Part Two. I'm off to read 10 pages of something....tonight, I think it will be Looking Unto Jesus.

No comments: