Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ten Pages A Day, Part Four

Well, after The Greenville Conference last week I took a break from my Weekends Are For... and my Multitude Monday posting. You can see the new ticker for next year's Greenville Conference on the side bar. You can look forward to a new Weekends Are For.... post, Lord willing, on Saturday. And I took a slight break from the Multitudes on Monday, not because I couldn't think of anything to say, but rather because the multitudes were overflowing from a grace-filled, glory-expectant week at The Conference and I'm overwhelmed with the gifts.

And so for now, Part Four (which has grown to at least a five part series because I added some reading at the conference!) of my Ten Pages a Day Series:

The Ben Miller Goal for 2011!

This is the year of (all) the Ben Miller suggestions. Isn't the beginning of the year great? I feel so free to make these outlandish goals and see what happens in the next months. Grace reigns!

While I was in New York I asked Pastor Miller what books he used particularly when preaching the series on The Fatherhood of God. Ya know, the series I keep linking to on Sermon Audio (maybe one day you'll get the point and go listen to the series). The series that got me reading Volume II of Owen (which I finished on December 30 and truly think was the best book I've ever read). The series that, to borrow Pastor Miller's words from a different sermon, is "paradigm shifting stuff." The series that got a hold of my heart and did some "plough running deep" stuff. Pastor Miller graciously, untiringly (you would think he'd be done with me by now), eagerly gave me the list, and more. So this is the year to read the Ben Miller suggestions. They all came in the mail recently and are eagerly sitting on my shelf waiting to be dug in to.

Children of the Living God by Sinclair Ferguson.

The chapter on adoption in Knowing God by J.I. Packer.

Commentary on Zephaniah by O. Palmer Robertson (I'm so excited!) It's actually the commentary on Nahum, Habakkuk and Zephaniah. Not sure how much I'll read. Perhaps just Zephaniah or maybe the whole thing.

Treatise on the Law and the Gospel by John Calquahoun.

The Kingdom Has Drawn Near by Ben Miller (our next book club book. Look forward to rave reviews. And listen to the sermons that this book is based on: parts one, two, three and four. Of course, they're awesome!)

God's Way of Peace by Horatius Bonar.

The Inner Ring by C.S. Lewis (an essay in The Weight of Glory).

Were there any others? I think I got 'em all. Ten pages a day.

1 comment:

Lily said...

I've read The Inner Ring, by C.S. Lewis. It was very good!