Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Wrecked Upon the Rock

I read this on the Girltalk Blog this afternoon. Precious.

As a newlywed, Darlene Deibler Rose served as a missionary in New Guinea with her husband from 1938 to 1942. Then, for four years, she was imprisoned by the Japanese during World War II and endured almost unspeakable hardships, including solitary confinement, near starvation, beatings and loss of her husband, Russell Deibler. Yet in her book, Evidence Not Seen, she wrote:

"Viewing those eight years from this far side, I marvel at the wisdom and love of our God, Who controls the curtains of the stage on which the drama of our lives is played; His hand draws aside the curtains of events only far enough for us to view one sequence at a time. Had those eight years been revealed to me in one panoramic view that misty gray January morning in 1938, would I have had the courage to board the ship? I wonder. Through the intervening years, tempestuous winds of gale force have buffeted me. Waves of tidal proportions have threatened to carry me under or dash me upon the rocks. But knowing now what I did not know those many years ago... I can thank my God for every storm that has wrecked me upon the Rock, Christ Jesus!" (pp.221-222)

2 comments:

Cheaper by the Baker's Dozen said...

My older children and I heard a talk by Mrs. Rose years ago and it was so inspiring. Not sure if I've read her book, but your quote makes me want to!

P.S. No, it's never enough. Is that proof enough of our fallen nature?
P.S.S. I'm sure part of the reason we are admonished not to compare ourselves with each other is because God knew the Pioneer Woman would have 50,000 followers...and I would not.

Love, Mrs. Pittman

Sarah said...

Yeah, and your BFF, Ann (without an "e") Voskamp has over 3500 followers. Guess we'll stick to reading her Blogger's Prayer and not look at her 300 OPC congregation's worth of followers :)