Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Book Recommendation

Ok, I know my recommendation will go unheeded. I know it will. In fact, this post will probably look a lot like most of my other posts: no comments. BUT! I would love to be able to imagine that I don't have any comments (again) on this post, because you've headed on over to Amazon and ordered this book and are now sitting at home, in a rocking chair, with the fan blowing overhead, sipping a glass of water (with no ice) or sweet tea, or even hot tea, enjoying every page of...

John Owen's Works, Volume Two: Of Communion With God the Father, Son and Holy Ghost

So here's the confession that will perhaps win you over to enjoy the rocking chair and sweet tea. I love to read theology. I don't know the last time I read something by somebody that was alive (except for blog posts :) and what Daddy's reading to us as a family). So, I have a great love for many of the Puritans and reformers. And yet, I still had my doubts about Owen. I've heard he's hard to read; one of the drier puritans. So, I hadn't tried any Owen. And then... I was listening to this sermon by Ben Miller (can you tell I have some favorites here?) and this sermon by Dr. Sinclair Ferguson (he's another favorite I just haven't linked him in a while). For one thing, these sermons had me in tears. And they both quoted the same passage in Owen. Actually, here's what Ben Miller said about this section of Owen:

"If you wanted the biggest kick-in-the-pants to your sanctification, I suggest you pick up Owen's works, Volume Two and read pages 17-40 without delay, every 6 months for the rest of your Christian life. It will serve you so well..."

So, my dear, dear friend Mrs. Girard, went online (after listening to both of these sermons and recommending them to me) and found Owen's works Volume Two on the web. Of course, we printed off the four chapters. We put our copies in black binders (very professional binding...Daddy would not approve :) and started diggin' in.

The first 2 chapters are good. They are. There are a lot of marks on my copies in those sections. Chapters 3 and 4 are incredible! They are so rockin'. I mean, there's nothin' but marks on those pages. Seriously, you start reading and you just can't stop...it's so good.
So Mrs. Girard got the complete Volume Two with the real binding and everything. This afternoon she let me read (and copy) some of the pages that come after chapters 1-4. Those pages triggered this post.

Here's a sample so you know that when you go to Amazon you're not wasting your money. The only problem: which section out of chapters 3 and 4 (in particular) am I gonna quote? I'm literally sitting here in agony: 1) because I'm sitting here with my "professional" copy of Owen on my lap being reminded of how good this is and how small my thoughts of God and His great love are and 2) because I so long for you Talk Time readers to feast on this and I know you're not going to so I just wish I could post it all right now.

"Though there be no light for us but in the beams, yet we may by beams see the sun, which is the fountain of it. Though all our refreshment actually lie in the streams, yet by them we are led up unto the fountain. Jesus Christ, in respect of the love of the Father, is but the beam, the stream; wherein though actually all our light, our refreshment lies, yet by him we are led to the fountain, the sun of eternal love itself."

I was going to tell you what page that was from but you'll just have to find it when you read Volume Two. Pathetic, huh?

Go enjoy some Owen. "It will serve you so well..."

p.s. did I mention the waves of conviction that will wash over you as you read? Oh I forgot that part? That's what I meant when I quoted Pastor Miller. Ya know, the whole "biggest kick-in-the-pants to your sanctification"? That equals conviction. "It will serve you so well..."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yo

I tried to help you with your Favicon and it seems as though it helped

Justin Klazinga

Sarah said...

really? It's not showing up on this end of things. I don't know why, though. Perhaps there's something else you could try. Thanks for workin' on it.

Oh, and did you have anything to say about Owen? Did you even read the post? Did you pick up that pearl of a quote I dropped? Come on!! ;)

Jessica said...

Hey, look! A comment! :-D Honestly, you've made Owen sound delightful. Shame on you, my book list just keeps growning! :-P I'm adding this to the titles to order when I get my next Amazon gift card through Swagbucks. ;-)

Sarah said...

If there is one book I could recommend, it would be this. And I can give hundreds more quotes if you want...to persuade you, ya know? :)

Lily said...

Amazon gift-card?...swagbucks?...ok, fine! I'm joining!!!!!!