Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Sewing Inspiration

Ok, I'll just admit it, I do not like to sew. I just don't. There's nothin' in me that says, "Oh man, Sarah, you should definitely drag out the sewing machine and the sewing box and the ironing board and the fabric and the pattern and the measuring tape and the "how to use this sewing machine manual" (again) so that you can start to cut out a pattern, realize you're doing it wrong (probably cut the wrong size); recut the pattern (wasting half the fabric), sewing it together and then realizing that you didn't sew it "right sides together" so now it's half right; seam ripping the whole thing, starting over and by the time you finish the project you've used the whole day, it's time to go to bed and you can't even wear what you've made." It just doesn't happen.

But, this past Friday was our first Friday of the summer without Omnibus class and I got this urge to sew something. I don't think that's ever happened before! So, I debated about going to the fabric store. A couple months ago I saw this adorable denim fabric that would be so cute as a skirt. We already had the pattern for it (which I have made before in a longer form so I knew what I was doing....that's a good start). I decided to go to the fabric store and the Lord was gracious: denim was on sale! 30% off!! Such a treat. So, I got 2 yards of my adorable denim and then 3 yards of regular denim. People...I mean, dignified, tea-sipping, Talk Time reading, ladies...I love denim. I probably wear denim 6 out of 7 days in a week. There's a whole denim section in my closet: jumpers, overalls, skirts, jackets...I love denim. It goes with everything. You can wear it around the house; to church; to the grocery store; to a friend's house; in the summer; in the winter; with sweaters; with t-shirts; with black shoes; with brown shoes; with red shoes; with lime green shoes. Are ya gettin' it? I LOVE denim. So anyway...

The first skirt is black denim (a new version of denim in my wardrobe :) with varigated embroidery on it. I don't know how these pictures are gonna come through on your computer but here's the idea:


You might be able to click on the pictures to make them bigger. The skirt has 8 pieces that you put together so it has eight verticle seams all the way around. Ok....enough of my attempts to explain...just click on the picture :)



Terrible picture of me...please just look at the skirt :) I love the length because it covers my knees even when I sit but it's still cute and not super long.

The second skirt is...of course! DENIM! This one is long (almost touching the floor...my idea of perfect!) It has a ruffle at the bottom. I actually modified a pattern that we had (that's how inspired I was...weird, huh?) so when I made it, it was straight down (pretty loose) but it wasn't comfortable to walk in...I couldn't spread my feet enough to take normal steps. So last night (with the "keep-me-awake" help of 2 Dr. Pipa sermons...if you want to hear them cick here and here) I made triangles up the sides. I ripped out the side seams and made big trianlges of fabric on each side and sewed them all the way up to the waste. I added ruffle pieces at the bottom and now it's all flowy and fun to walk in....swishes when I walk. (sorry, I don't think I got the triangles in the picture).



The best part of the whole project(s) is that I got 8 sermons listened to...and they were all so good, too. But anyway...it was fun and I wanted to share my inspiration with you.

To the King!

Sarah

7 comments:

brite said...

Very VERY impressive! Even modifying a pattern...that's getting into some pretty fancy stuff. Glad to know I could be a small part of your little sewing kick! ;-) It's always so nice when the thing you make actually turns out, and the more you sew, the more that will happen! Oh, and I listen to sermons a lot of times while I sew as well. Some people like Dr. Pepper to keep them awake, other people like Dr. Pipa. :)

Sarah said...

Brite, you were definitely part of the inspiration. Thank you so much! It was nice that they turned out just the way I wanted them. Even Mama was really impressed with my triangles. Sweet! And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who listens to sermons while I sew. In fact, I need to go finish mending some sleeves on a shirt...and Ben Miller's gonna accompany me into the sewing room :)

Anonymous said...

When I think about Ben Miller, I'm not sure he's the sewing room type.

Sarah said...

HA! Probably not. But he is the preaching type and therefore he's a good one to listen to while I sew...Miss Leah!

A.E. said...

I really like the pattern on the first skirt!!

Mrs. Pittman said...

Wow! Maybe I should play the lottery today (if I didn't think it was sin...) because not only did I get onto your blog - but it's letting me post a comment!

I love that denim with the swirls. It would make great upholstery fabric. So when you tire of the skirt, maybe you could turn it into a chair :)

You are too humble, dear Sarah. No one who could make that triangle skirt can claim to be such a novice as you make yourself out to be. They both look great...and you look very sweet in them both.

I, on the other hand, do what all TRUE sewing rookies do when they need a new denim skirt. I head to GAP.

Jessica said...

Cute! Great job, Sarah! :-)