Saturday, April 25, 2009

"We Interrupt This Broadcast" Recipes

Good Afternoon,

It has been requested...strongly requested...that I share my recipes from this meal. So, I will interrupt the broadcast again to share some recipes. First up, the salsa (from my dear friend, Mrs. Larson)~

(this is not your regular cup of tea :)

1 small can green chiles (I did not use the mild ones but that's just me -- you could go either way)
2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes (I used 1 regular can and one cilantro/lime can)
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
1-2 dashes garlic powder
3/4 tablespoons cumin
handful green onions, coarsely chopped
lots of cilantro, coarsely chopped (I used LOTS of cilantro)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Blend all together in blender, but only until you get the consistency you want. If you do it too long it'll get overworked and be too liquidy and frothy.

Next recipe: guacamole. I'll do the appetizers today and everything else in later posts. This serves about 5.

1 avocados
1 small clove garlic
salt
pepper

Blend together with a pastry blender until well combined (there shouldn't be any big chunks of avocado). Enjoy!

Have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow.

5 comments:

Lily said...

The guacamole gets my thumbs up...but I don't prefer cilantro, so the salsa doesn't rate highly with me!

Sarah said...

How "unmotherly!" :)

Mrs. Pittman said...

thanks so much for sharing these.
I can't wait to try them both. Today, at a friend's, I had a tropical salsa over tri-colored orzo. It was to die for! Seriously.
Your guacamole reminded me of it because the salsa had mango, pineapple, papaya, green pepper jelly, and avocados in it.

sounds weird, but it was amazing.

do we also get your mother's lemon curd recipe? Or is that asking too much? :)

Anonymous said...

I can't say I like either one of these delicacies, but they look good on the table. And as a young cook, that goes a long way.

When are you going to share your Super Lemon LEMON potato Salad? I think I got all the ingredients correctly noted......

Anonymous said...

Whoops, Sarah says there are three LEMONS in there....because they, um, tripled it. Who doesn't like lemon?!